Friday, December 10, 2010

After All

You must be dead, sweetheart.

After all,
              certificates arrived listing your cause of death as "multi-organ failure"
              I cry six times a day even in the midst of being happy
              The wooden box on the mantle is pretty but I didn't get it as a decor element
              People keep saying
                                            I'm so sorry
                                            I just can imagine
                                            You have my sympathy
                                            I'm praying for you
                                            If there's anything I can do
                                            Don't hesitate to call any time
                                            Let us know how we can help

And all that would sound pretty stupid if you weren't dead.

You must be dead, sweetheart.

After all,
              I've cancelled most of your credit cards and you'll be really pissed if you're not dead
              The management at Kohl's and Dress Barn and Target and Walmart have declared fiscal emergencies   because you're no longer coming
              I own an account called the "Anne Hennigs Memorial Fund"--ATM card and everything
              I get letters addressed to "The Estate of Anne Lynnette Hennigs" and it's not a mistake
              I signed life insurance claim forms
                           pension reassignment forms
                           annuity beneficiary forms
                           and forms for more forms
                           (I made up that last part).

You must be dead, sweetheart.

After all,
              I gave away some of your clothes to family
              I gave away some of your clothes and shoes to strangers
              I put the special things in my Annie spot
              And figured out what to do with your underwear (enough said)
              And if you're not dead you'll be so irritated (please see above for further details).

You must be dead, sweetheart.

After all,
              the "we's" are now "I's"
              the "ours" are now "my's"
              the "us" is now "me"

After all.

No comments:

Post a Comment