Thursday, December 9, 2010

Always Following

Driving down 84th Street
And I thought,
"Honey, you went first..."
Mostly.

It was you who said,
"I think we should go for pizza."
Your home girls kept seating us together
Mostly to distract me from them
I suspect
You got it right away--I was a little slow
So we went.

It was you who said,
"I love you--even if you are a little screwy"
Long before I could choke out the words
And then you waited until I could
I imagine
You were amused that you knew long
Before I did.

It was you who said,
"I think we should get married"
I walked to the door of my room and said,
"I think you should go home and reconsider"
But you smiled and waited
And twenty minutes later
We set the date.

Having kids
     Going skiing
          Tanzania
               New furniture
                    Dogs
                         Why was it you who went first?

Only now can I see
     Your vision
          Your courage
                Your wisdom
                      Your humor
                            Your determination.

Now you've gone first again
And all this time I thought
You were following me
Soon enough my love,
I'll catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment