Tuesday, December 21, 2010

For The Daughter You Found

Meant--ee


You brought her flowers every time you visited her
     a riot of colors
          purple, green, yellow
               red, pink, blue...

Before you came you called
     What's your favorite number at Burger King
           I know you say you won't eat
                But if I have my way you will...

You gave her your heart
     You were her second mom--she says
          The daughter you didn't have
               The daughter you found

I know you worried about her
     Prayed for her constantly
          Shook your head in disgust
               Always wanted to do much more

You taught her to live and love
     You got her out of trouble more than once
          You told her to keep her mouth shut and her fists quiet
                You got her to graduation and beyond

She came to see you
     To read you a letter
          To give you flowers in your favorite color
               To sit with you and talk

She'll be back
     I have the daughter you found
          Who found me
                We'll share our pain and our love for you

What else did you do that you didn't tell me?

1 comment: