Thursday, December 9, 2010

Love Perfected

Thomas Lynch notes that the dead don't care, that the dead are beyond caring or not caring.  That is a description certainly of what we may observe or experience.  But it is certainly not the only available description--especially if one is a Jesus follower.

Certainly the dead need nothing further from us.  I have nothing I can give that Anne needs--not any longer.  I would agree with Lynch that she and all the dead are beyond needing.  That, however, equips Anne to love as God loves--without self concern or unfulfilled desire.  Anne can love me in Christ and for God--as I am, without reservation, hesitation or condition.  Perhaps this is the vocation of those who have joined that "great cloud of witnesses."

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear," we can read in John's first letter.  Perfection here means completion, fulfillment, coming to the end for which something or someone was made.  Our mortal love--even that of the greatest saints--must be at least tinged with the fear of loss.  For lose we must--sooner or later.  So there is the anxiety of desire, the terror of abandonment, and the angst of rejection.  This is imperfect love.

Anne and all who have the blessed rest of the saints are now freed from such fears.  When I relax, close my eyes, and wait for her touch--this is the love I feel.  She is loving me in Christ and for God--longing for my good, my joy, and my own freedom from fear, purely for my own good.  Perhaps Anne's mission now is to nurture such love in all of us who have loved her.

To love and to live beyond fear--this is how true joy is defined.  This is what I seek in my own healing and in yours.  Now I have a friend "on the inside" to help me.  Thank you, my love.

1 comment:

  1. Your Friend Annie "on the inside" is infinitely and eternally precious. Here's a quote from a small book which she is experiencing and probalby wanting to pass on to you: "In heaven we are free to give without fear of not having enough, love without fear of rejection, reach without fear of falling, explore without fear of losing our way, stand without fear of ridicule, forgive without fear of being hurt again, confess without fear of reprisal, submit without fear of appearing weak - not to mention ...believe, laugh, sing, dance, enjoy, loaf, climb, somersault, sail, write, ask, encourage, walk, run, listen, watch, loan, play, work, whistle, juggle, recreate, celebrate, originate, imitate, overlook, understand, work around, follow through, and do. and be. in peace. free. Imagine."

    ReplyDelete