Tuesday, December 14, 2010

On the Far Shore

On the shore of Lake Wenesaga
Late evening in June
Sun going down through the trees behind us
The lake like a crystal mirror
That draws me into the blue
Anne's most very favorite color

The sound of waves caressing the shore
From where?
Oh, yes, a boat was moving
Two miles away
Thirty minutes before
So long ago to be almost forgotten

Now the ripples have traveled
The width of the lake
To remind us of that boat's passing
Fisherman looking for
Just a few more trophies
Before calling it a day

Today I am again on the shores of that lake
Hearing the ripples of your life
And love
Produced weeks and months and years
Ago
Out of memory until now

Your mentee called because
You changed her life
And the ripples still strike the shore
I hear from your Tanzania home girls
Almost paralyzed with tears
They loved you so much

More I cannot write without collapsing

I see the water's surface shift
The waves sound like your breathing
As you slept sound
I think I hear a boat off in the distance
Are you still at work?
I'll wait for more ripples

lrh
12/14/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment