Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Autopilot Response

At this point it is the "autopilot" responses that make me crazy.

I went to the Register of Deeds today.  The house is now "mine" instead of "ours."  Anne's name is being removed from the deed to the house.  Again, I had the privilege of paying ten dollars for something I already own, but so it goes.

I went to the counter and said, "My wife is recently deceased.  So I need to change our deed."  The person at the counter was polite and efficient.  All went very well with a minimum of fuss and bother.  I got what I needed and prepared to leave.  The counter clerk said, "Have a nice holiday."

I turned away before I said something rude.  I know--just doing her job.  It's not her life.  I'm overly sensitive.  What can you expect?  I know.  I know.  I know.  But seriously!  "My wife is recently deceased..."  Here's the death certificate so you can make a copy.  Another piece of her identity is officially gone.  She is disappearing from the public record like Marty Mcfly in "Back to the Future" vanishing from the family photos (look it up, young people).

I start a memorial account for Anne.  While we're waiting for things to process, the teller says, "So, how's your week going?"  Well, other than my wife's funeral and cremation, things have been just peachy!  It's the autopilot response.  It is flip brain into neutral, say the conventional thing, and then bite your lip in embarrassment if you have half an ounce of self-awareness.

I know I've done the same thing--certainly.  But I don't care.  It's just damned irritating, so I'm going to be irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment